About

History

On December 5, 1956 the Northwest Lutheran School Association was formed by Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church, Emmaus Lutheran Church and Covenant Lutheran Church. Northwest Lutheran School opened its doors to its first group of students on September 16, 1957. In 1964 Berea Lutheran Church joined the Association. Additional classrooms and a gymnasium were added to the school in the fall of 1978.

The Association for Northwest Lutheran School was established to provide the children of our Association congregations, including Covenant and Berea, and the community, a Christ-centered education. That desire is still the focus of our ministry today as is evident in our Mission Statement. "Our mission is nurturing and equipping all children in a strong Christian and academic environment to become life long learners, growing in faith, capable of making responsible decisions, and servicing God and the community."

In 2006, LUMIN was contracted to operate the school and manage its growth.  LUMIN led a major building project in 2011 to add 7,000 square feet of new classrooms, office space and upgraded technology and security, making Northwest Lutheran's bright, safe and clean school building one of the best in urban Milwaukee.

Northwest Lutheran School is accredited by AdvancEd, NLSA (National Lutheran Schools Accreditation) and WRISA (Wisconsin Religious and Independent School Accreditation) and a partner school of PAVE, Schools That Can Milwaukee and Center for Urban Teaching.

Northwest Lutheran School Board of Directors

 

Worship

Students, faculty and staff join together every Wednesday morning at 8:35 a.m. for chapel. We meet in the sanctuary of Covenant Lutheran Church, one of our supporting congregations, which is right across the parking lot. The services are led by the pastors, administrators, teachers, classes or guest speakers. We enjoy live music and thankful praise. Sometimes the students present a musical offering through choir or a class song. It is truly a time of fellowship and praise.

 

Athletics

The Tigers athletic program is an extension of the Christian Education provided at Northwest Lutheran School. It supplements the physical education curriculum, providing additional physical activities for students in grades 5-8 who choose to participate.

Northwest Lutheran School belongs to the MLESAA (Milwaukee Lutheran Elementary Schools Athletic Association).

 

 

 

©2009-2016 LUMIN, Inc.